PHOTO: FoodBev Media
We all know that healthy living starts with healthy eating. But, with new health food trends popping up so frequently, it can be hard to tell which ones are actually good for you. Here’s one you should definitely know about: Coconut yogurt.
What is coconut yogurt?
Coconut yogurt is – surprise!! – yogurt made from coconuts. Instead of dairy milk, these yogurts use coconut derivatives to achieve that yogurty-texture and flavor we love. Coconut yogurts can be made from various coconut products (like coconut meat, cream or water), but most store-bought brands simply use coconut milk.
PHOTO: Source unknown
Why you’ll love it
Aside from being a delicious snack, coconut yogurt also offers a multitude of health benefits. Coconuts are naturally high in fiber and contain many key vitamins and minerals. In fact, a single serving of coconut yogurt usually provides 25-30% of the daily requirements for calcium, magnesium, vitamin D and vitamin B-12 (essential for healthy and glowing hair and skin, ladies!). Coconut yogurts can also easily have probiotics added to them to deliver the desired gut-healing powers of dairy yogurt.
Plus, coconut yogurt is a more sustainable alternative to your standard dairy yogurt. A study done by So Delicious Dairy Free showed that coconut milk’s production carbon footprint is nearly 9 times smaller than dairy milk’s, and still smaller than soy- and almond-milk’s. Coconut milk is also a great option for vegans and those with dairy allergies or intolerances.
Where can you buy it?
Most large grocery stores carry coconut yogurt. You can usually find it in the normal yogurt section, near other vegan alternatives like almond and soy based yogurts. If you still can’t find it, health food stores like Whole Foods and Naturalia will definitely have some!
Or…Make your own!
But, like everything, the healthiest versions of coconut yogurt are homemade. Here's a delicious three-ingredient recipe we love, courtesy of Oh, Ladycakes:
PHOTO: Oh Ladycakes
- 2-3 cans full-fat coconut milk (refrigerated for 2-3 days)
- 2 (20 billion CFU) probiotic capsules
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1. Turn on your oven light. Don’t turn the oven on – just the light! This will allow it to heat up to a temperature of around 40°C (105°F).
2. Spoon the thick layer of cream out from the cans of coconut milk (we won’t be needing the more liquid-y portion, but feel free to use it in a smoothie or other recipes!).
3. Put the coconut cream and maple syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat with a thermometer at the side of the pan.
4. Once the mixture reaches 82°C (180°F), turn off the stove and whisk.
5. Once the mixture cools to 42°C (108°F), empty the contents of the probiotic capsules into the mixture and whisk.
6. Pour mixture through a sieve and into a jar. Seal the jar.
7. Place the jar in the oven for 24 hours.
8. Remove from the oven, mix, reseal and place in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
9. Consume within two weeks.
Let us know in the comments below if you've tried this recipe, how it went, and if there are any other health food trends we should know about!