PHOTO: Jane Birkin
Women have always been fascinated by the unofficial capsule wardrobe of the Parisienne. A curated selection of quality classics and effortless staples, inspired by fashion icons like Romi Schneider, Francoise Hardy and Jane Birkin. Among these favourite items stars the perfect white t-shirt. That simple piece that she can so easily mix and match with the rest of her closet, dressing it up or down for just that right amount of je ne sais quoi.
French chic aside, having items in our wardrobes that can single-handedly create a dozen different outfits is a big part of dressing consciously. These are the investment pieces that we should be indulging in – clothes that are well-made, fit perfectly and feel to die for. Why do we splurge on a sequin skirt that will be forgotten after one season, when instead we could buy a beautiful silk shirt that feels like heaven? Our price per wear for that skirt is taller than our Louboutins, and serves as a real reminder of which pieces on our wish-list are worth investing in.
To make the most of our summer wardrobes, here are 12 of our favourite (and très frenchie) ways to style that simple, perfect t-shirt:
1. Tucked into boyfriend jeans with espadrille wedges or sneakers
PHOTO: Brooke Testoni
2. Dressing down a leather mini and flats
3. Casually paired with a classic pencil skirt and sneakers
4. Or with your favourite dressy shorts
PHOTO: Miranda Kerr
5. Layered under a blazer
6. Tucked in or cropped with palazzo pants
PHOTO: Gigi Hadid
7. Updating a pleated midi skirt and heels
PHOTO: Giovanna Battaglia
8. tucked into paper bag trousers
9. Layered under a silky cocktail dress
10. Rolled sleeves with skinny jeans
11. Turned into a crop top with a knot
PHOTO: Emily Mohsie
12. with a neck scarf
PHOTO: Peony Lim
Do you have any T-shirt styling ideas that we haven't covered? We'd love to hear them. Let us know in the comments below!